Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Apparently I'm American

So I had my first experience in defending my country and my goverment to someone from another country. Tonight after dinner I began talking to Walter (the "father" of my house who is about 70 and is Dutch but has lived in South America for around 40 years but still doesn't speak Spanish extremely well) about 9/11 - to be honest I don't remember how the topic got started. After a few minutes of discussing he proceded to tell me that planes didn't crash into the Pentagon that it had to be missles and that my government was orchestrating some huge cover up. Furthermore, that Arab terrorists, in his mind, are incapable of planning something so complicated. He didn't say that 9/11 didn't happen (although it was implied once and I surely jumped on that one.....in Spanish actually) but that our, the US government, had something to do with it and now the government was involved in some huge cover up. Yes, he actually believed this and had his "facts" from the internet to prove it. Of course I, and the other US girl that lives in this house were pissed. We proceded to argue for quite a while about this topic in a rather heated discussion. It was the first time I've ever even thought about defending our current goverment as I typically have a very "un-American" mindset about internationl things. Let's just say it was an experience and if I didn't live under his roof for the next few weeks the argument would have been much more intense and he would not have won. I have to say that this was surely an experience for me as I've never had someone talk about 9/11 like that (and it's been brought up a lot since I've been in South America). Furthermore, I told him it was a sensitive topic for an American and that he was pissing me off yet he continued. I don't talk about hot topics in other countries, especially topics I know nothing about. If asked my opinion I might, keyword being "might", give a little of my opinion but I would certainly qualify it by saying I don't know much about the topic and stating that I was talking in generalizations. It was certainly an experience that I will remember.......and for those of you who are interested, after this conversation he brought up Chavez and proceded to tell me he couldn't understand why people didn't like him. Ah, and I just remembered this, during the conversation we talked about internet credibility (as his sources were from the internet). I told him you can find anything you want on the internet, and if you can't for some reason you can type it yourself on wikipedia and claim to be an expert. He brought up a PanAm flight that was shot down going from NYC to London in 1988 that he thinks we know all the facts about. I said I'm sure I can find something on the internet that disagrees; to which he responded would be impossible. Hmmm, why don't you click this link: http://www.worldaffairsbrief.com/keytopics/PanAm.shtml

2 comments:

Emily S. said...

Ahhh, Jason, these conspiracy theories about 9/11, Pan-Am, man on the moon, etc. are everywhere, even believed here in the U.S. And the Internet as an end-all-be-all source? Now you understand how we professors feel when students only use the Internet as their sources!
Other than this heated conversation, I hope all is well. Have a good time in Temuco for the 4th (if you are going down there to see Katy D., let her know I said hola!).
Emily S.

sherry said...

Jason,
First of all ur topic should of been PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN I can just imagine hoe it felt to get in a heated conversation in another country I am proud that you "had chosen " to have that conversation as for the Chavez topic I know alot about him and that conversation would go on 4-ever I fully understand why he is not liked. The one thing that has always amazed me about other countries they are not educated they go by only what they are told. Be safe and have a great fourth and be exceptionally patriotic luv aunt Sherry